WaterWorX - Bamako (Mali)
Water Operator Partnership with SOMAGEP SA to improve water quality in 90 cities in Mali
|Project partners||Waterproef, Het Waterlaboratorium and the World Bank|
|Recipients||Société Malienne de la Gestion de l'Eau Potable (SOMAGEP SA)|
|Funding||WaterWorX, Young Expert Programme (YEP)|
Mali is a poor and dry country, hit hard by the effects of climate change. SOMAGEP SA is one of the public water supply companies of Mali. It is responsible for the drinking water supply in 17 major urban areas and 72 smaller areas throughout Mali. SOMAGEP SA faces huge challenges in providing its customers with proper drinking water. World Waternet and SOMAGEP SA have entered into a Water Operator Partnership (WOP), in which World Waternet will help SOMAGEP SA combat these challenges. This WOP is part of the WaterWorX programme.
We contribute to improved access to safely managed drinking water for nearly 8 million people in 90 major urban areas in Mali, the majority of which live in Bamako.
- Improved performance of laboratory through training and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Improved work safety, working procedures, operations and maintenance of laboratory.
- Obtaining an ISO-certification, so the SOMAGEP SA laboratory can assure quality of their results towards its customers.
- Development of quicker and cheaper model for water quality data gathering.
- Writing a strategy for the realization of social connections
- Mapping the non-revenue water and writing a reduction plan
- Zero audit ISO-certification of laboratory.
- Recruitment of two Young Experts.
- Registration of over 250 sample points in Bamako by using Akvo-flow and Akvo Caddisfly (in cooperation with Akvo). These tools will enable SOMAGEP SA to obtain the results faster and more accurate
- Support finance and realization of 1000 pro-poor connections
- Newsletter SOMAGEP SA December 2020 (in French)